Splice Festival 2017 presents a compilation from the Athens Digital Arts Festival: #PostFuture Journey.
The ADAF – Athens Digital Arts Festival – is an international festival celebrating digital culture with an annual gathering, bringing together a global community of artists and audiences. They aim to encourage, stimulate and promote all aspects of digital creativity by hosting both local and international artists / communities with a goal to raise awareness on contemporary digital culture, familiarising audiences with new media art and providing education via workshops focusing on technology and digital arts. Each edition of the festival tackles modern social and cultural issues that relate to innovation and technological advances, it’s wide-ranging programme offering exhibitions, screenings, performances and workshops that display distinctive characteristics of the digital medium.
Athens Digital Arts Festival 2017 was its 13th edition with the theme #PostFuture, it aimed to create a futuristic reality in the centre of Athens to reflect the transition of digital culture by shaping a future ‘beyond digital’ and playing with the idea of ‘real versus virtual’ boundaries.
The compilation features the work of artists Patxi Araujo, Chris Cheung, Rebecca Najdowski, Dénes Ruzsa & Fruzsina, Spitzer, Alexander Pettai, Marta Di Francesco, Max Hattler, Alex Karantanas, Duncan Poulton, Fred L’Epee, Marcantonio Lunardi, Pamela Stefanopoulou, Thomas Valianatos and Maria Tsiroukidou.
Flying beyond digital, reaching the #PostFuture
Digital culture, as an integral part of our everyday lives, is constantly changing in an effort to satisfy our “perpetual eagerness” to exceed technological limits. This continuously shifting form of digital culture shapes a future “beyond digital”, a futuristic convergence of the ‘real’ and the ‘digital’. On this path, travellers encounter this new exciting, but still rather elusive, “post-digital” reality where the digital merges with both the analog and the physical.
#PostFuture Journey selection list:
(for full listings check out the Friday 26th May programme page)
1. Patxi Araujo (ES) Tera Nullius 09:58
2. Chris Cheung (HK) RadianceScape 02:00
3. Rebecca Najdowski (US) Give them Distance 03:04
4. Dénes Ruzsa & Fruzsina Spitzer (HU) S.C.A.N. – Searching Alternative Nature 07:00
5. Alexander Pettai (RU) Apophonie 05:36
6. Marta Di Francesco (IT) The Waves 02:45
7. Max Hattler (DE) Shapeshifter 00:30
8. Alex Karantanas (GR) Singularity 07:13
9. Duncan Poulton (UK) Pygmalion 07:00
10. Fred L’Epee (SW) Athanasia 05:33
11. Marcantonio Lunardi (IT) The Cage 05:46
12. Pamela Stefanopoulou (GR) The Voices of Silence 01:52
13. Thomas Valianatos (GR) Fractusmachine_Kosmos 03:34
14. Maria Tsiroukidou (GR) Minecrafted Waste Land 05:33
Video Art Curator: Eirini Olympiou
Animation Curator: Nikki Georgiou
Curatorial Assistants: Marianthi Mavroudi – Eleana Damaskinou
Introducing and presenting the compilation will be ADAF director Ilias Chatzichristodoulou.